Tuesday, April 05, 2005

House of Peranakan Food

My new makan kaki Sandra and I agreed on hanging out in the eastern part of the Island as soon as her family moved back from living in the west. In this first instalment of our eastern epicurean adventure, we headed for The House of Peranakan Food in Katong as we discussed having Peranakan food on numerous occasions. I must say in all my years of living just a stone's throw away from the restaurant, neither my family nor I were curious about the food served there. In fact the only time i have had Peranakan food in a restaurant was only on one occasion in Malacca.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After getting ourselves seated in the almost empty restaurant, we decided on having Bankwang Kepeting(thats like meatball soup), sambal-stuffed fried fish, kang kong with sambal and ayam buah keluak. The food arrived fairly quickly so i guess most of it was pre-prepared, in particular the soup and the ayam buah keluak.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The soup was flavourful, with some quite yummy meat dumplings, the ayam buah keluak was not similar to my first esperience of having it. This was quite dry and not as pasty nor fragrant as my first time(but that was home cooked
I must say the meal was quite a tasty and delicate affair. Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My tastebuds were tickeled but can't really say much about the ayam buah keluak because i have had the dish only once before.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kang kong sambal was cooked to perfection and had crunchy bits of squid.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The fish was really crisp. Sandra mentioned that u need to get the oil at a nice and hot temperature to get it nice and crisp. Very true. I suddenly recalled from ages ago, a bunch of clueless female classmates who couldnt fry decent hashbrowns. Hot oil is your friend, not a foe.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home