Sunday, July 09, 2006

Day 3 - Tokyo

Today we got up close to noon. I had a hangover. Neil is coughing like he needs a new lung. Another glorious morning wasted. This is starting to feel more like a holiday. We did nothing today but shop and eat, just like the day before. Neil started the day with a curry sausage bun that he bought from the convenience store the night before.

I ate mine last night in a fit of munchies that I got from all that excessive drinking.

We decided to do some shopping around Ginza but had to have lunch first so we choose this restaurant that was below the arches of the elevated track of the Yamanote Line.

This place served everything that I have been craving for-noodles and unagi.

Before

After
Neil took a video of me slurping my soba but I can't be arsed to upload it at this point. I don't normally make a lot of noise when I eat noodles but I I tried to take the piss by making a lot of noise. Not easy to do if you have been smoking like a chimney the night before.

I noticed how the natives try to incorporate dessert into a meal, even if it was a heavy one. This scoop of ice-cream was the size of a fishball.

We walked around the posh shopping district of Ginza when we finally ended up in Bic Camera, which is a chain of electronic shops that sells almost every kind of gadget imaginable. The 2 hours that we spent roaming the many floors of the geek consumerist paradise was really uncomfortable as the air-conditioning was set to a ridiculously high temperature of about 28degrees. Damm Kyoto Protocol.


No, I did not throw away money here

We also went to a huge Muji store. You can have a Muji overdose there if you are the kind who seeks a zen/minimalist lifestyle. They sell Muji everything. There was even a Muji showflat. (Sorry no pix)

We had dinner at Sapporo Lion Beer hall, smack in the centre of Ginza. Apparently its the 1st beer hall in Japan and has been around since the 1930s. I can't remember what beer I drank but the food was excellent.

Yummy plastic displays

Salad dressing had a poached egg yolk in it. mmmmm...

Fucking oishi beef stew. Strange that they put pasta in it.

When we got back to Baraki Nakayama, I felt like we should stay out a bit longer as I wasn't prepared to go back into the shoebox straight away. So Neil suggested an Izakaya next to the train station where we can get some beer and grub that served basashi. Thats horse sashimi.

Squid achar with kelp

Basashi...the turf club reject didn't agree with me

Chicken balls on a stick

Cool wallpaper

Vending machines galore

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i often forget to check this as you take long breaks from updating, but i saw you alking near my favorite steamboat place last sunday and had been meaning to take a look at this again. i love reading your food posts, and i think there is nothing better in the world to photograph than a meal of tulang.

August 18, 2006 4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home