Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Dan Ryan's, 13 years on...

Spaz's dad wanted to have a small dinner gathering before his departure tomorrow and decided to have it at Dan Ryan's bar and grill along Tanglin Road. It was a terribly nostalgic dining experience for me. I loved the dark interior(not dark now though, the music(jazz circa 1930) and maybe even the food. The last time I was there was in 1993 with my colleagues from Haagen Dazs(yes I scooped ice-cream part time whilst I was in school). I strangely am able to recall what we ordered that night in 1993 - pecan pie, a caesar salad and nachos-that was the first time I tasted nachos. Do remember that those were the days before doritos were easily available in Singapore. Oh and I also had my first taste of bourbon coke. With Wild Turkey. I quite liked it then. Oh those carefree days of underaged drinking....

Ok fast forward to the present(and reality). The meal we had was ok. Between the 7 of us,we ordered starters consisting of nachos, buffalo wings, calamari rings and a caesar salad and for the main course we swapped around a steak, ribs and seafood platter.Everything was passed around so it was a like a sampler meal of sorts. Most of it was good except for the seafood platter that was generally overcooked and too heavily breaded. But I don't know about the steak though. I am not able to appreciate eating a slab of meat without it being really marinated in anything. It was bland and just tasted beefy I guess. After all that food, beer and wine, I must confess that I was pretty gassy at the end of it all.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The last time I made a mess like this was when I was five

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I walked briskly down my memory lanes and could never find a Dan Ryan's. Instead I find myself sitting in a HRC booth with a bunch of starbucks mates celebrating someone's birthday (u were there 2, remember?) and that's my encounter with real american cuisine! Except someone might say u haven't had american food till you've had their pork ribs.. I'll work on that...

Speaking of HRC and bourbon coke,I do fondly remember the many glasses of cheap bourbon coke i had in those days..were they strong or watered downed? Did I down them in one gulp or sip it like an amatuer? was it the drink that induced my first organic release thru my lips? hahahaha i can't remember.. and that's as far as my memory capabilities go.. a little here, a little there. but nothing sunstantial in between....

September 28, 2005 10:00 PM  
Blogger Rajipoo said...

Hmmm... i do not recall that HRC birthday meal. If I was there then I could have arrived very drunk.

First organic release thru which lips? HAHAHAHA

September 28, 2005 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss superdome nachos, the best. katrina made sure they will never be eaten again.

-kevin b.

October 01, 2005 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home