Thursday, September 15, 2005

Onam makan

Today is the first day of Onam. And no, its not the Indian new year. I invited Spaz over for dinner today 'cos he is one of the few I know that can appreciate a Kerala vegetarian meal. He has been coming over on and off the past few years and gives my mum such joy seeing him wipe off every bit of food off the banana leaf. I have given up asking anyone else as they usually squirm at the technicolour palate of food and intimidating number of side dishes laid out on the banana leaf. Oh and the fact that the meal is vegetarian. No mutton curry. No broiled chicken wings. No fish molee.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This Onam was a pretty low key affair this year because of my gran's passing away earlier in the year, but the spread of food was almost the same as most years....I won't bother explaining the individual dishes but I would say the meal is kinda like a degustation smogasbord that you have with your fingers. It may look like a load of slop to some but it sure taste good. I think if I had a choice on a meal that I would be stuck having for the rest of my life, this would be it....
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Dessert on the same banana leaf: payasam mashed with a banana and papadum-delish!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Gutch said...

Haha. Not Indian New Year. Good one! Funny how Hari Raya is a New year to them when it's not and so is Deepavali and Christmas and Vesak day and Vaisaki day and my birthday ......

September 15, 2005 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home