Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hari Raya@the Majid's

The Majid's were my neighbours from my old neighbourhood in Telok Kurau who moved away when I was about five. A five year old is probably how the elders best remember me...the chubby toddler who would romp around the neighbourhood naked (gimme a break I was one or two during my naturalist phase). For the past 4 years they would tease me about things like these but this year's visit did not have any of that. Maybe its their failing memories. Anyway here is the queen teaser herself Mrs Majid in her very garang no-nonsense kitchen operation.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
You got to love those charcoal stoves. They have to be the epitome of a hip kitchen.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Of course I had to have the ketupat...home made summore. Mrs Majid is Peranakan so some of the dishes I think have a Peranakan twist like the ayam masak kicap which had a lot of ginger and onions, the rendang had slices of dried chilli in it and a sweet plum achar which I have never come across in Malay cuisine...

There was also ayam masak merah and sayur lodeh and serunding and sambal sotong and sambal goreng and nasi minyak and 2 types of achar loaded with garlic and shallots.... I could just go on and but I have to include a special mention about Amran's cookies... pity I didn't take any pictures of them or get to try them all but I was hooked with his macadamia and white chocolate cookies. The only problem I have every year is that there is just too much variety...Its hard not to let the flavours collide, especially in one sitting but its still so gooooood. Oishiiii!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home