Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Buka Puasa vol. 3 cum shopping trip @ Mustafa's

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Herda called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to join her her shop for toiletries at Mustafas. By the time we met it was almost time to buka puasa.She felt like having vegetarian, so we went to Anadabhavan's just across from Mustafas. It was pretty full so we thought it had to be good, though now I realise that I got sucked into the "crowded must be good" mentality. The food was pretty lame, or maybe it was what I had ordered...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Veggieburgers were invented by Indians
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Cardboard kebabs with sulphur coated onions

I had a vada pau and vegetarian kebab while Herda had a cheese naan. Vada pau I think is a Northern Indian street food and is basically a fried potato pattie burger topped with different kinds of chutneys. Herda's naan was pretty mediocre but the vegetarian kebab was downright weird. Just like having mystery meat in spam, this had mystery vegetable. I made the mistake of eating the raw onion that came on the side. It was probably the most pungent tasting raw onion that I have ever had. Similar to a wasabi hit, but this hit lingered for a while.

We crossed over to Mustafa's and thronged through its stacks and stacks of everything and nothing. They expanded two more floors above the original three floors and now carry everything from Henckels knives(think Rolls Royce of knives and cutlery) to obsecure brands of ghee from Coimbatore. I can just spend a whole day looking at all the barang-barang there.
They even carry books and magazines now, like Indian editions of Cosmopolitan, India Today, Stardust(some Bollywood film mag).


There is also weird and wonderful things that we came across....
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pig lotion??

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pukimon flavoured toothpaste, delish!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Doremon toothbrush? Too fucking cute!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Honey flavoured toothpaste, mebbe it can be used as a spread on toast. Ok I admit i do have a fetish for oral care!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Another Japanese invention-scissors to trim and style facial hair.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I might need this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and this!

So after about more that 2 hours of mindless consumerism and the desperate need to break wind(those damm raw onions I had earlier), we stepped out of Mustafa's to the bright lights of the Tourism Board's efforts to make Singapore an exotic yet consumeristic destination for visitors. But hey they got me.... I didn't really need to buy anything (the kitchen cabinets are overflowing with things from previous shopping trips to Mustafa's) but did buy some neem soap, papadums(Taj Mahal brand rocks!), fresh dates and nata de coco. Retail therapy has never been more practical.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rajipoo said...

KNNBCCB u lah Rod! I dont need you jubo faces spamming my beautiful blog ok!

October 19, 2005 8:31 PM  
Blogger Gutch said...

Trust me the battery operated nostril hair cutter is better! :)

October 21, 2005 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home